Blogger Layouts

Friday, March 25, 2011

T-ball & sibling differences.


Two t-ball games down; several to go. I'm the team mom by default since Thomas is the head coach, and let me tell you.. making sure 13 little boys and 1 little girl between the ages of 4 and 6 are relatively behaved for an entire hour is HARD work. In fact, it's excellent birth control! Tommy's first game was stressful. He was exhausted and overwhelmed and had four meltdowns in the hour-long game. Thankfully his game yesterday went SO much better! He got on base every time he went up to bat and he even caught a ball thrown to him from first base! (he was playing catcher). 


In a little over a week Tommy will be turning the big 5 years old. Gone is my baby, my toddler, and soon, my preschooler. I'm still in denial that he starts Kindergarten this Fall and will be gone all day. I'm not ready for this big step, but he sure is. He's thriving in school and I've never been so proud. Anyways, we won't be having his party until the following weekend after his birthday since my father-in-law won't be back in town until then. He's having a baseball theme, of course.


Anyone who knows me probably has gotten the impression that Tommy is a good kid. Compassionate, thoughtful, sensitive, and gentle. I used to think I had the biggest hand in molding his personality.. and maybe I did; atleast a fraction of it, anyways. I try my hardest to mimic the qualities that I want to instill in my kids. All of the characteristics that Tommy posesses. But my dearest baby girl sure is giving me a run for my money. She is everything Tommy is not. She's aggressive and abrasive. Rough and tumble. Outspoken (even though she's only 14 months and can't say a whole heck of a lot) and demanding.  


I am already struggling with finding the best tools to teach and guide her. I can already tell that the discipline methods I implement with Tommy are going to require much more persistence if I want them to be as effective with Emma. Tommy has always responded to gentle guidance and redirection. He's the kind of kid who will break down in tears if I so much as raise my voice with him. Emma, on the other hand? She already laughs at me when I get firm with her. Currently I'm having a hard time with her aggressiveness. She's the hitter Tommy never was. It is absolutely no exaggeration when I declare that Tommy has never, not once!, hit or smacked me with the intention of defiance. Oh, but my little princess sure is the EXACT opposite. She 'speaks' with her hands. When she's excited, she smacks. When she's upset, she slaps. When she's mad, she hits. Now, I know that she is not doing this with the sole intention of hurting me or defying me. She's too young, plain and simple. But I know that it will progress to that if I don't find a way to show her another way to release her frustrations. So, for now I cling to the hope that firmness and consistency is key. When she winds up to take a swing, I shield her hand and firmly tell her "No ma'am. We do not hit". Sometimes she does it anyways, but sometimes, and progressingly more often than in the past, she takes that as a cue that it is a big no no, and she will redirect her anger elsewhere.


She definitely keeps me on my toes, that's for sure. But it goes without saying that I love her all the same as her big brother. Life would be boring if we were all the same, right? She definitely gives me a more empathetic perspective when it comes to parenting in general. One of my biggest hurdles in parenting is to not be so extreme. It's okay to make mistakes, so long as you learn from them, right?

And with that, Thomas should be home any minute so I'm off to do the cleaning in the next 10 minutes, that I should have done the past 9 hours that I have been awake.

6 comments:

  1. My kids are quite like that. Colton has is moments but is definitely the gentle, laid back child and Adelyn is my rough, dramatic one It gets very stressful and frustrated with them together and I can lose my temper that's the hardest thing with two is balance is discpline to where they listen and me control my own anger from them not listening. I think our daughters will stress us more when they are older!!! I can't believe colton will be 5 in august and in school all day but then again I'm ready for him to go to a school thats closer and doesn't cost as much and I think he will learn more in a real school base instead of the ymca that has got on my nerves I'm ready to pull him out because it's so far for 3 hours a day and they don't tell us anything until last minute so not worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its amazing looking at 3 kids and seeing how 'different' they are.

    Trinity is my major sensitive little girl. if you yell or get onto her she cries. Skyler just shrugs it off as nothing and reese just smiles { haha i dont yell at hime just firmly say no our ow that hurts mama when he bites }

    I think you are doing an amazing job with your littles! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids are definitely so much alike. Tommy seriously sounds just like Jordan. Lucy is really sensitive about certain things but is also really outspoken and has a huge attitude when she wants to. Caroline is the same way. It's fun, isn't it? :P

    I didn't know Thomas was coaching too! This was such a big thing for Tim since his dad wasn't around when he was little at all.

    I can't believe these 'babies' are going to be 5 either!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my girls are very outspoken and rough but they will both be the first person in the room to tell you they are sorry when they have done something wrong. :)

    love that you are updating again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had a blog! HOLA!

    As we have always said, Tommy and Boogs sound very similar and It appears Emma is very much like Nugget. I will tell you that I have learned that different personalities need different discipline. What works for Boogs definitely did not work for Nugget. You will find a perfect balance and what works for each child.

    Can't believe how quickly these little ones have grown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe how big your kiddos are getting! They are so beautiful too. :-) I finally came to Blogger. Still trying to get the hang of it, though... lol

    ReplyDelete